Introduction to GetSocial Smart Invites¶
GetSocial Smart Invites provides a comprehensive in-app referral system for your application. We utilize popular apps like WhatsApp, Kik, Kakao, Facebook, Twitter to give your users seamless friends invitation process or in-app content sharing.
Word of mouth is one of the most effective ways of getting users to install your app. According to a study by Nielsen, recommendations from friends and family are considered the most credible form of advertising – making these recommendations the highest ranked source for trustworthiness.
GetSocial’s Smart Invites makes it easy to turn your app’s users into your app’s biggest evangelist.
- Contextual Deeplinking and Deferred Deeplinking: contextual deeplinking is similar to deeplinking with an additional functionality of storing information about sending/receiving user, invite channel and unlimited custom data. This allows you to Push metadata through the App Stores right into the app to create a personalized on-boarding experience for your users.
- Webhooks: providing real-time event data for every app install events with contextual information so you can reward your users.
- Tracking and attribution: our proprietary device fingerprinting technology providing complete tracking and attribution. Get insights into your app’s k-factor, cycle time, conversion through invite funnel, retention uplift and more.
- An extensive list of invite channels: GetSocial smart invites support the following channels natively and also includes ability to use the native share sheets.
- Frictionless invites: users can send invites without authenticating with your app or with any supported invite channels.
- App store detection: our invite links automatically detects recipient’s device and directs them to the appropriate store. iOS users are directed to the App Store, Android users are directed to the Play Store, desktop users are given an opportunity to SMS the invite link to themselves to continue the install from their mobile device.
- UI Customization: customize our default UI or use your own.
- Branding and localization: customize invite text in 21 languages, and brand all invite URLs with your own custom domain.
Easy Sharing for users
Smart Invites makes it simple for users to send invites to their friends and family over a preferred channel of communication. The channels include all social media platforms and popular chat apps. With no cut-copy-paste required, it makes sure that the referral codes or any custom content are passed along with the invite.
Easy to implement
Smart Invites handles the user referral cycle for you. With easy implementation, it enables you to deliver a rich user experience without taking up your app development resources.
Invites that survive app installation
Smart Invites work seamlessly across both the App Store and the Google Play. Besides making the installation process smooth, Smart Invites ensure that recipient receives the referral code or the content shared with him (whether or not he has your app installed).
How does it work?¶
- Call to action: User is given an opportunity to invite his friends via a call to action that is available in various parts of your app (e.g menu, achievement popup etc).
- Invite created and custom data attached: You can attach custom key values pairs to the invite links (this could include for e.g. sender user id, level info, item id that is being shared). You can also override the default invite text and image.
- User selects a way to send an invite: The GetSocial Invite UI is presented to the user with supported invite channels. To make user experience smooth our system detects and displays only apps that are installed on user’s device.
- Receiver gets the unique link: Unique Smart Invite link contains information about custom data attached and enables complete attribution and analytics.
- Deeplink or smart store redirection: When recipient clicks the link he will be taken directly to the app if it is installed. If not, GetSocial will detect the platform and take to the Google Play or App Store app download page.
- Custom data retrieved: When the app is started from clicking on the Smart Invite link, custom data will be fetched. Smart Invites survive installation, even if recipient was taken to the store after clicking the link, it is possible to fetch custom data.
Supported Invite Channels¶
Our Smart Invite system supports the following invites channels natively and those not supported natively are available via native sharing. The native sharing system is the default sharing system provided by Android and iOS operating system.
Our Smart Invite technology also detects apps installed on users’ device and only shows those installed apps as a choice for sharing/inviting. This leads to a better user experience as your users will not share/invite using an app that is not installed on their device.
|+||via invite plugin*||+||+|
|Messenger||+||via invite plugin||+||-|
|Kakao||via invite plugin||via invite plugin||-||-|
|via invite plugin||via invite plugin||via invite plugin||via invite plugin|
|* From iOS 11 sharing on Twitter is available only with invite plugin|
Starting from version 5.1 GetSocial SDK supports sending Smart Invites via native system share dialog. In GetSocial UI and a Dashboard the native share option is called “More”.
We recommend enabling Native share only if invite channel you are interested in is not available via direct integration with GetSocial, e.g. Slack.
Supported Content Customizations¶
Not all Invite Channels were created equal, for instance, Twitter allows message text and image customization but not subject, whereas Email supports subject as well. The table below shows what content customizations are supported by different Invite Channels.
|Provider||Custom subject||Custom text||Custom image||Custom animation*|
|-||+||+||+ (iOS only)|
|SMS||-||+||+||+ (iOS only)|
|-||+||+ (Android only)||+ (Android only)|
|* GetSocial supports GIFs and MP4 videos for custom animations.|
Content customization support in Native share
Depending on the app chosen by the user in the native share system it may support all or some of the above.
Smart Invite channel feedback¶
Our Smart Invite system can identify if the invite was actually sent, cancelled or failed in many cases, when it is technically possible. Unfortunately some of the channels don’t provide that information at all and, in other cases, the OS doesn’t allow to get that feedback.
When the result of the Smart Invite cannot be detected, the GetSocial SDK will report it as successfully sent.
The table below shows for which combination of channel and platform the GetSocial SDK will provide reliable invite feedback.
- Learn the Smart Invites integration best practices.
- Integrate Smart Invites on Android, iOS or Unity.
- Understand GetSocial Analytics for Smart Invites.